The industrial gateway is a powerful, PLC-based solution, enabling physical division of the industrial networks and conversion of the protocols between them. Conversion of the protocols is done via device’s proprietary format, allowing it to serve also as an industrial firewall system.
The gateway is usually based on Regul R200 programmable logic controller (PLC) with several network interfaces. In case a redundancy is required for the gateway, it could be assembled with the Regul R500 or R600.
The industrial gateway is designed to:
- Receive data via OPC DA 2.0/3.0, OPC UA, or IEC 60870-5-101/104
- Convert received data internally into own proprietary protocol
- Transfer data via IEC 60870-5-101/104, or Modbus RTU/Modbus TCP
- 1 x RS-232 interface (Modbus RTU or IEC 61870-5-101)
- 1 x RS-485 interface (Modbus RTU or IEC 61870-5-101)
- 2 x RJ45 Ethernet interface (OPC DA 2.0/3.0, OPC UA, IEC 61870-5-104)
- Maximum transfer speed of float type data via Modbus RTU – 1,000 parameters/sec.
- Maximum transfer speed of float type data via IEC 60870-5-101 – over 1,000 parameters/sec, depending on the frequency of changes in data
An alternative of the industrial gateway solution for the use in power industry, is Automatic Load-Frequency Control System.